Right on the money 完全正确
2015-02-27来源:易贤网

Larry(L)和李华(LH)一起去逛街,给Larry的朋友Tom买生日礼物。今天我们要学两个常用语:right on the money和crapshoot。

LH: Larry, Tom平时有什么爱好啊?

L: Tom really enjoys sports, especially skiing. But he also loves video games too.

LH: 他喜欢滑雪和电子游戏?现在天气这么热,没法带他去滑雪……对了!我们给他买一个滑雪的电子游戏,这样他在家里就能滑了!

L: You want to buy him a skiing video game? I think you're right on the money. Great idea!

LH: Right on the money? 什么意思?你让我付钱买礼物吗?

L: Actually, when you say that something is right on the money, that means it is exactly right.

LH: 哦,right on the money就是“完全正确”的意思。你是说,我提出给Tom买滑雪游戏是个特别好的主意,对不对?

L: Exactly. Here is another example. When Erica went to visit Karen she wasn't sure which apartment number was hers. Luckily her guess was right on the money.

LH: 我明白了。Erica不肯定Karen家的门牌号码,可是她一猜就猜中了,这就叫right on the money.

L: Exactly! You're right on the money.

LH: 那可不!咱们去电器商场买游戏吧!对了,那家店在哪儿来着?是在14街上么?

L: Yup, you're right on the money. There is a big electronics store there.

LH: 那我们怎么去呢?

L: There is a metro station nearby, so I think that will be the most convenient way.

LH: 对,附近是有地铁。是地铁的哪条线来着?绿线么?

L: Yup, you're right on the money again. It's the green line.

L: Larry, 这种滑雪游戏好像是新上市的,会不会很贵啊?得50块钱吧?

LH: Wow Lihua, good guess! You're right on the money. The most popular skiing video game is $49.99.

L: 哈!我今天怎么猜什么都那么准啊!那我再猜猜,你买这个游戏给Tom, 其实是想和他一起玩儿吧?

LH: Actually, Lihua, you're right on the money!

******

Larry和李华正在商场的电子游戏区选游戏。

LH: Larry,这里至少有10种滑雪游戏!咱们买哪个啊?

L: Hmmm... I don't know. Maybe we could ask a store employee to recommend one.

LH: 找店员问?他肯定给你推荐最贵的,而且还不一定好!

L: I guess you're right. Since we don't have any idea which games are good, it's really just a crapshoot.

LH: A crapshoot? 什么意思?

L: A crapshoot is something that depends totally on luck.

LH: 哦,crapshoot就是完全靠运气的事情。

L: Exactly. For example, becoming a movie star is extremely competitive. Even if you're a good actor, it's still mostly a crapshoot.

LH: 对,想成为电影明星很难,即使你有表演天赋,这也基本上是撞大运的事儿。

L: You got it.

LH: Larry,这里的游戏都好贵啊,要不咱们去别的店看看,也许有便宜点的?

L: Maybe, but there isn't any way to know which store would be cheaper. It would really be just a crapshoot.

LH: 这倒也是。对了,Tom家的游戏机是什么牌子的啊?任天堂?索尼?还是X-Box?

L: Hmm... I have no idea.

LH: 啊?你不知道牌子,那怎么买游戏啊。万一型号对不上,就没法玩儿啦。

L: Well, we will just have to guess. It will be a crapshoot, but he can always exchange it later.

LH: 那多麻烦。要不我们送给Tom一张购物券吧,让他自己随便买点什么。反正我们也不是很确定他会喜欢滑雪游戏。

L: Well, it's not a total crapshoot. We know he likes skiing and video games, so it's likely he will like this gift.

LH: 我说 Larry, 你对Tom的生日礼物可真上心啊!我猜,等到给我买生日礼物的时候,你一定会花更多的心思!

L: Of course, Lihua. You're right on the money!

更多信息请查看生活口语

推荐信息