1. Necessity is the mother of invention.
需要乃创造之母。
2. Don’t worry. I’ve got his number.
不用担心。我对他了如指掌。
►get sb's number 了解某人的情况,发现某人的本质
e.g. I used to think he was a friend of mine, but now I've got his number, he's completely selfish. 我一向认为他是我的朋友,但现在我算把他看透了,他完全是个自私自利的人。
3. Apply the cream liberally.
多抹点。
4. We reached a gentleman's agreement.
我们订了个君子协定。
►gentleman's agreement 君子协定,君子之约
e.g. A gentleman's agreement has no legal force usually. 君子协定通常没有法律效力。
5. It’s his sore point.
那是他的痛处。
►sore point 令人难堪(或痛苦、伤心)的话题,亦作 sore subject
在第二十九期里还学过 sore spot 点此回顾>>
6. The guy eyed me up.
他色迷迷地打量我。
►eye up 对…做媚眼,向…送秋波;色迷迷地看,挑逗地注视
e.g. Jack has been eying her up all morning. 杰克整个上午一直对她做媚眼。
7. There’s every prospect of success.
成功的希望很大。
8. Hey, get off your high horse.
别盛气凌人的。
►high horse 傲慢的态度
>>你知道这些horse相关的短语吗?<<
9. What an underhanded intrigue!
多么卑鄙的伎俩!
10. Let me kill the fatted calf for you.
我要为你接风洗尘。
►kill the fatted calf 盛宴招待,热情款待,设宴欢迎