口语交际:他被抓起来了 He got arrested
2017-11-21来源:易贤网

A:Can you believe the headlines?

你相信新闻报道吗?

B:What are you reading?

你在看什么?

A:I'm reading about Michael Milliken, the Bond King.

我在看关于保债券大王麦克?米昂肯。

B:Didn't he sell worthless stocks to people or something? He got arrested for that, didn't he?

难道不是他卖给人们一些无价值的股票或什么的吗?他因此事被捕了,是不是?

A:He got arrested all right.

他罪有应得。

B:If I remember, he got off with a light sentence. Something like three years in a minimum-security prison.

如果我没有记错,他判刑很轻。好像只在一个安全保障最低的监狱里呆三年。

A:Yup, that's him. He made millions of dollars selling bonds to people and ended up with a pile of cash when they became useless.

是,那就是他。他卖保债券给别人,赚了数百万美元,当这些债券变得毫无价值时,他却得到了一堆现金。

B:I think the government fined him a small amount, and he kept the rest in his foreign bank accounts. He's still a millionaire.

我认为政府罚得很少,他把剩余的钱存在他国外的账户里。他还是百万富翁。

A:That's the kind of thing in America that gets me mad. Some guy pulls off a stock scheme and makes millions while spending the bare minimum sentence in jail.

在美国那是我狂怒的一件事。一个家伙搞证券阴谋,赚取了数百万,而只判了明显最轻的罪入狱。

B:I know. And some poor guy that robs a liquor store makes $500 at most and ends up in jail for five to ten years.

我知道。而一个穷人抢劫一个小酒店最多得到500美元而同时判刑入狱5至10年。

A:Yup, you got it. Criminals in America do a lot better if they're white-collar thieves.

是,你说得对。在美国,如果罪犯是白领阶层的,判罚就会轻得多。

B:So what's Michael Milliken up to these days?

那么,麦克?米昂肯现在在忙什么?

A:He's giving lectures on business at colleges.

他在大学做商业演讲。

推荐信息